Monday, February 1, 2010

Teaching Like A Rockstar: On The Spot

I walked into my first class of Basics of Effective Instruction in Physical Education and Professor Yang did not waste any time with making us uncomfortable. Whenever I feel uncomfortable, I know it's really good. I am getting over my nervousness class by class and day by day. There were two video cameras set up and everyone kind of squirmed when we heard we would be teaching a sport by ourselves...on video...the first day of class. Hahaha. I guess we all figured we would be warmed up to teaching by ourselves. Nope. So, we were given four minutes to teach a specific skill of either basketball, volleyball, football, and soccer. "Basketball, definitely," is what I thought immediately, but the class was split up into two groups. We didn't know for sure if the sport we were most "comfortable" with would be available when our name was called. Oh, and of course, when my name was called the other group was using the basketballs. That's how it always works out it seems. :) I ended up teaching volleyball because no one had picked it yet. I had to think on the spot what skill I wanted to teach and how. Overall, I was pretty happy with how I taught.

Here is the link to the video of me teaching. Tell me what you think! I would love feedback

I chose to teach setting because it's one of the most basic skills in volleyball that you need to know. I actually remembered back to when I was taught how to set in elementary school. I feel like I gave a clear definition of what setting is and when you use the skill. I showed the class the proper form of setting and gave a couple of examples. I had the class split up and I was clear with directions and did not spend too much time on the one skill, but moved on to another skill. I found that some of my classmates that went before me wasted too much time on one drill, and everyone seemed kind of bored with the same activity. One thing that I want to strive to accomplish next time I teach would be coming up with a different variation of a simple drill. Maybe spice it up somehow and make it more exciting, so it's not "just a drill". When you teach exciting, your students are probably going to be more motivated to do well and participate. Wouldn't it be great to be able to teach so your students forget about the time because they are having SO MUCH FUN. That would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment