Sunday, November 29, 2009

Oh Pre-K


Sometimes we forget what it's like to be a kid, but spend a couple hours with 4 and 5 year olds and you will be reminded quickly. :) I loved working with the pre-k group at Saint Mary's during this semester. They have this light and innocence about them and it's so refreshing to be able to work with them. One moment that I cracked up at was when we were playing with the kids in the classroom. There were different activities that the kids were able to choose for themselves. You could either color, play with Lego's, put together puzzles, or play on the carpeted area with a house and a kitchen. I mingled around at each station with the kids and ended up eating dinner at a palace :) One of the girls told me to sit down and get ready for a meal. I laughed and went a long with being royalty. She brought over a empty plate and I said, "Where's the food?" The little girl said, "It's on the plate, silly." It made me think of the movie "Hook" and how Robin Williams had to imagine he was eating a humongous feast. I played along with the girl and pretended to gorge myself. I thanked her for the meal and she was so happy. This stood out to me because it's about being able to connect with your students as a teacher. You have to be able to come down to your audience's level and be able to relate. I know this is just a silly example, but I think it represents the joy and responsibility you have as a teacher. It's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment