Friday, February 12, 2010

Less Talking, More DOING :)


For class today, we had to assess how much time we spent on management, instruction, activity, and waiting on our first day of teaching (The video is 2 posts back). We were given roughly four minutes to teach a skill. At the time, I didn't realize how much time I spent on instruction and demonstration. Going through, second by second, was incredibly helpful for me to make my lessons more centered around "ACTION" rather than "INSTRUCTION". Ideally, in Physical Education, you want to have your students being active as much as possible. I spent more time giving instructions than my classmates spent in the activity. Next time I teach (which is today :) I want to have my classmates participating in an activity at least 50 % or more of the time. Let's see how it goes....dun dun dun :)

Here is my "time-coding" analysis from my fist day of teaching volley ball.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZ03EU4y2g4EZGdtcHRmem5fMWMzajM1a2c0&hl=en

We also were asked to transcribe every single word that came out of our mouth for the entire lesson. It's scary sometimes reading what you say. It is a really good way to see the specifics of how you talk and to whom. I caught myself saying "guys" to the entire class, which is a generalization that I don't want to hold on to in my teaching career. I also noticed that I didn't give as much feedback to my classmates as I though. I spent a lot of time talking. Blah blah blah. That's why I entitled the name of this post "Less Talking, More Doing" :)

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZ03EU4y2g4EZGdtcHRmem5fMmZtZHR6M2Nj&hl=en

1 comment:

  1. Amy
    I work with PE teachers all over the nation and many of them don't understand how to get kids active at least 50% of the class time. It's great to see that you are working on those teaching strategies while you are still in the PETE program.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete